Thursday, December 13, 2007

New Work... In Progress

My vision blurs back into the hazy clouds that show no way out. My bed is hard, the springs digging in my back as I grip the cold, unforgiving covers. Tears roll down my cheek and onto the pillows. The bathroom reeks of ammonia from all the way down the hall. Still I tremble, wondering if I'd missed a spot anywhere. It had started out innocent, scrubbing at the tub, trying to clean up the mess of my life. If only he hadn't stormed out, I scrubbed the side of the tub faster. If only I hadn't angered him, my nails had scraped against the side, making a screech I couldn't stand. The red hot fury oozed through my pores and so I pushed the sponge harder and harder. The grime was all gone now and yet I kept going. The steaming water burned my feet and yet I could not help but to submerge both of my legs. Throwing the sponge across the room I plugged the drain and turned the water on full blast. Quickly the mirror had fogged up, much more quickly than normal. Without giving thought to my person, I flung my body into the bath, screaming softly as it burned. Even with a t-shirt and underwear on it had left merciless red marks all over. Why hadn't I listened to him? Wihtout bothering to take a breathe I thrust my head under the scalding water. The heat tormented my face and lapped against my scalp. But through the pain a great calm began, baiting me to breathe in the water. When my air was used up I emerged back to reality. From the shower shelf my Venus Divine razor teased me, gleaming its tantilizing four blades. It had been so long and I'd been trying so hard. I would not give in. And yet still the razor taunted. How could he do this to me? Storming out like he did. But it had been my fault. Why didn't I think? I grabbed the razor and thrust it upon my left arm. I pulled left across my skin until I saw the tracks. Little drops of blood were already forming. Once the curse returned I could not stop myself. Pull the razor across. What had I been so stupid? Push the other way How could I be so inconsiderate? Pull back again. This chain of action and consequence had seemed to go on for hours until I finally realized what I was doing. All at once I lept out of the tub and lunged for the medicine cabinet. There had to be bandaids in there somewhere. Finally, after an eternity, I found an Ace bandage and wrapped it around my arm. Quickly I mopped up my bloody mess and let it down the drain. I grabbed the bottle of ammonia and poured it into the tub afterward, doing a quick rinse with the shower. Sluggishly I limped back to the bed, feeling drained and empty.

No comments: